Followers

Welcome to my blog

This is an extension of my website

Friday, June 20, 2008

A nation of fatties

Australia is the world's most overweight nation, ahead of the supersized Americans. "As we send our athletes off to the Olympics let's reflect on the fact that we would win the gold medal problem now in the world fat Olympics if there was such a thing.

A topic that’s always I the news is obesity and today they say Australians have the highest percentage of obese people in the world. My question is why is this so? Is it the foods we eat or the amount we put on our plates? Blaming it on to much time on the computer is wrong; kids do in fact play more organized sport now than we ever did.
I have my own ideas on why we are so overweight; these are not facts but beliefs. We now have these huge dinner plates, a few weeks ago I found some plates that have not been used in years and was surprised at how small these where yet we seemed to get by on the smaller portions .We also snacked far less on things like potato chips, it was more like a piece of fruit or if we had a sandwich it was not over filled and the bread in our house was usually a rye bread.
That’s not to say we ate a low fat diet, foods like sausages or fried eggs where part of our weekend diet, it was just done in moderation and to a large degree we ate in seasonal foods. This is where I maybe completely wrong. I think a major cause to our allergies comes from the preservatives we put in our foods. It gives the food a longer self life but I believe its one of the reasons so many kids have things like asthma, when I was a child very few kids had things like asthma, diabetes or where obese, yes we walked everywhere and we ate less. We also had roast dinners and dipping bread into the roast juices was a treat, I even had dripping on toast with salt. We did not however have a pantry full of snack foods like chips party shapes biscuits (cookies) or huge bottles of soft drink in the refrigerator
The bottom line was we ate what was in season we ate less of it and did not snack an hour before dinner an after school snack was something small not a meal, I see kids eating hamburgers on their way home from school at 4pm its little wonder we are in so much trouble.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

coincidence -- I read this -- and you were over looking at my flying saucers. (Saucers full of ice-cream for all us fatties)

I saw this same article at another blog - and it was later retracted. The writer looked at the wrong data.

We're still fatter. However, I'm willing to share my fries. (:

dieter said...

I dont mind sharing fries lol i would rather be chubby and happy than thin and sad.
And at our (mine) age i just dont think its good to worry to much.

Jeanette said...

Hi Dieter, thanks for your visit.
I remember eating Dripping on bread and dipping bread into the roast gravy.. oh so yummy. and walking Miles to school rain hail or sunshine..I think theres too much fast food and kids have to be driven everywere or rhere in front of computer or tv ,we were never inside always playing outside with mates.. I was always size 10-12. then i had major surgery (C) went down to size 8 now im back to 12-14.
so now i say i need that little extra weight in case i have that fight on my hands again..


please return often...

Powered By Blogger